jail performance questions

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at netmemetic.com
Thu Jul 10 18:19:32 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:48:21PM -0400, V. Jones wrote:
> I've found several examples showing how to set the jails up.
> My questions involve system requirements.  Assuming plenty of
> disk space, 1GB ram and a dual processor PIII 1.13Ghz system,
> how many jails can I run?  Would I notice a significant
> performance hit if, for example, I run three jails?

I haven't noticed performance degradation, but my jails aren't doing much.

There are several providers selling jail-based virtual servers.

I didn't consult the source, but my understanding is that a jail marks
individual processes, so, e.g., if a jail runs just one process, that's the
(operational, I don't know about startup) overhead for that jail.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL