realpath(3) et al

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:52:02 PDT 2003

At 2:38 PM -0400 8/14/03, Michael McDowell wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:56:18AM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>>
>  > BTW, if anybody really wants to start up the audit project
>  > again, I think somebody should take a look at integrating
>  > some of the changes OpenBSD has made.  No reason to spend
>  > time finding the bugs OpenBSD has already fixed.
>
>I agree with the OpenBSD suggestion, it would be a real time
>saver.

Speaking as someone who actually looks at NetBSD and OpenBSD
sources, this is often much easier said than done.  There are
a number of source files which have diverged so much over the
years that it can chew up an awful lot of time to try to
separate the "simple bug fixes" from new features, or various
code-rearrangements.

As I say, I *do* try to do this, so I certainly do think it is
worth doing.  However, it is not necessarily "a real time saver".

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu