realpath(3) et al

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Aug 12 13:48:06 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:59:46PM -0500, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:59:51PM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> > In any case, IBM has a stack smashing protection patch for GCC 3.3 on
> > FreeBSD 4.8 available at
> > http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/buildfreebsd.html (the
> > description page is at http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/). It
> > currently works in the latest cvsupped source from 5.1 as well (I've built
> > and tested it).
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/projects/security/ssp/ has the latest.
> Yes, I'd like to see this in the base system as well.  Our toolchain
> in 5.x is calming down a bit, maybe the timing is getting ripe.
>
> I thought Kris looked into this before, but I don't recall what might
> have ultimately stopped him from making the commits. cc:ing him in
> case he has insight to share.

The gcc maintainer (David O'Brien at the time) was unwilling to
support the burden of an external gcc patch which would need to be
re-integrated by him each time a new gcc version was imported.

Instead, we agreed that the best solution was to make a port that uses
this patch, which can be updated periodically as the SSP authors track
new gcc releases.  Neither of us followed through on this though.

Kris