realpath(3) et al

Chris Odell chris at redstarnetworks.net
Tue Aug 12 08:21:39 PDT 2003

  Corporations - INTERNET Companies...

  If you look at the big picture, having a O.S. that has been audited
for issues would actually be cost effective for them. Having to patch a
machine that is in service causes downtime.

  Lets see -

  Each machine takes ten (10) minutes of human work to drop into single
user mode and install new binaries/kernels

  The company has one thousand (1000) machines

  That comes to ten thousand (10000) minutes, broken down to hours - 167
Hours

  The average admin say is making forty five (45) dollars a hour - over
$7000.00 - not including taxes paid by employer.

  So if one hundred fifty companies donated one thousand dollars (1000)
it would save them downtime, payroll, and taxes.

  Just a rough estimate and my 2 cents

Chris Odell
chris at redstarnetworks.net