Kerberos to file server

Tillman tillman at seekingfire.com
Tue Aug 5 09:40:19 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:57:01PM -0700, Michael Collette wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2003 09:02 pm, Tillman wrote:
> > The handbook is out of date -- it cover Kerberos 4, not 5. Check out my
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg19447.html
>
> I have been looking at those docs.  The part I don't get are the file paths
> involved, as they're very non-FreeBSD'ish.  /usr/local/var??

Like many 3rd-party packages, they put things in locations that make
sense to them and then write their documentation to match.

> Do I need to alter environment variables to put things into their proper
> places, or create the directories that it expects?  I would expect config
> files for a port to be in /usr/local/etc/krb5 or some such.

krb5.conf and krb5.keytab are an exception to my explanation below, they
reside in /etc.

> BTW, working with the MIT version now, since installing the port and all.
> Also got the pam_krb5 port in there as well.  I think I'm about ready to
> really muck this thing up once I understand what all I need to do about file
> paths.

Ignore the file paths in the MIT documentation - the FreeBSD port puts
things in the "correct" paths. Take a peek through
/usr/ports/security/krb5/pkg-plist for details (pre-pending /usr/local/
to the paths you find in there).

-T

--
Knowing others is intelligence. Knowing yourself is true wisdom.
	- Lao Tse