Problems with JAIL in 4.8R

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Aug 5 03:35:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:20:23PM -0000, stakys at punktas.lt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 12:56:36PM -0000, stakys at punktas.lt wrote:
> > Hi, i've set the outside ip for the jail..It works.. When i try to ssh to
> > jail'ed system from the main system (in which is created jail) the
> > connection is successful, but when i try to connect to jailed system from
> > anywhere else i get this message:
> > ssh: connect to host IP_NUMBER port 22: Operation timed out
> > What can be wrong here? How to solve this problem?
>
> >>Are you running some sort of firewall on the main system?  You might
> >>have to add additional rules allowing SSH into the jailed one...
>
> >>G'luck,
> >>Peter
>
> I'm running IPFW but i put such a lines to ipfw.rules to be sure that it's
> not firewall's fault, about connecting to jail'ed system from outside.
> Here are the lines:
> ipfw add 50 allow ip from any to any via lo0
> ipfw add 51 allow ip from any to any via rl0

If it would not be a great security risk, could you post the whole
set of ipfw rules that you are using?  Alternatively, could you add a
'log' clause to all the 'deny' rules, and then watch for denied packets
in the syslog?  As another alternative, you could 'ipfw -f' for the
duration of the test...

Sorry if I seem fixated on ipfw, but in my limited experience, it is the
single most common reason for jail network connectivity problems :)
Closely followed by missing /etc/resolv.conf files in jail/chroot
filesystems, but that's another story...

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.