Forensics CD Toolkit for FreeBSD

Joe Warner rootman22 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 11:59:37 PDT 2003

On Sunday 03 August 2003 12:26 pm, Barney Wolff wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:20:45AM -0600, Joe Warner wrote:
> > I'd like to build a toolkit CD specifically for conducting
> > forensics on FreeBSD.  I'm not talking about a bootable
> > CD but rather one that I could pop into a CD ROM drive
> > and run trusted commands like ps, netstat, ls, etc., from.
>
> 1.  It would be fairly rare for the bin's from iso-2 (the bootable
> live filesystem) from a release not to work on the corresponding
> -stable.

Ok, I didn't know that, thanks.

> 2.  However you should certainly be booting from the cd, for reasons
> already noted.
>
> 3.  make release will enable you to create the equivalent of iso-2
> for your -stable, if you really insist.

I'll take that under consideration but don't think it will be necessary for
what I'm trying to accomplish.

> 4.  You should investigate The Coroner's Toolkit, available (free)
> from porcupine.org to really do forensics work.  It comes from
> Dan Farmer & Wiese Venema, who need no endorsement from me.
> I've used it (on Solaris) with very gratifying results.

Yes, I've seen that all over the place from my searches on Google but I
was hesitant about going any further with that because it said it's only
been tested on FreeBSD 2.2.1, 3.4, and 4.4

Do you think I can run TCT from a CD?

Thanks

Joe