FreeBSD 10.3/11.0 SCSI errors with Symbios Logic SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3

Shiva Bhanujan Shiva.Bhanujan at Quorum.com
Fri Oct 20 18:02:35 UTC 2017

Thanks for the patch.  I applied the patch on FreeBSD 10.3 and it has addressed the issue.  I've added the following to /boot/loader.conf.

hw.mpr.disable_eedp="1"
ev.mpr.0.disable_eedp="1"

I'm going to apply the patch in FreeBSD 11.1 also, just to make sure that works.  Is this going to be checked into stable/10 and/or stable/11?

From: Ken Merry [ken at freebsd.org]

Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 7:34 AM

To: Shiva Bhanujan

Cc: Steven Hartland; freebsd-scsi at freebsd.org

Subject: Re: FreeBSD 10.3/11.0 SCSI errors with Symbios Logic SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3

Ok. Yes, for #2, in theory we can disable EEDP / protection information in the mpr(4) driver and if DPICZ is set, the drive won’t require setting protection information on read and write commands.

That should let you access the disks normally.

That said, I’ve never played with protection information before, so I don’t know for sure. I have a drive that supports it and I’m formatting it now to turn on type 2 protection I may be able to debug things once I get that done.

In the mean time, I’ve attached a patch against the stable/10 version of the mpr(4) driver. Apply this patch, and rebuild and reinstall your kernel. Then you’ll be able to disable EEDP in the driver three different ways:

1. Set hw.mpr.disable_eedp=1 in /boot/loader.conf. That will disable EEDP / Protection Information for all mpr instances.

2. Set dev.mpr.0.disable_eedp=1 in /boot/loader.conf. That will disable EEDP for mpr0.

3. sysctl dev.mpr.0.disable_eedp=1 That will disable EEDP on the fly for mpr0.

Let me know what happens.

Ken

—

Ken Merry