Do I need SAS drives?..

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:44:54 UTC 2017

> On 09 Aug 2017, at 17:59, Alan Somers <asomers at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> 3) SAS drives have a lot of fancy features that you may not need or
> care about.  For example, (...) their error
> reporting capabilities are more sophisticated than SMART

Really interesting answer Alan, thank  you very much !
Slightly off-topic but I take this opportunity,
how do you check SAS drives health ?
I personally cron a background long test every 2 weeks (using smartmontools).
I did not experience SAS drive error yet, so not sure how this behaves.
Does the drive reports to FreeBSD when its read or write error rate cross
a threshold (so that we can replace it before it fails) ?
Or perhaps smartd will do ?

As an example below a SAS error counter log returned by smartctl :
    Errors Corrected by          Total   Correction    Gigabytes    Total
        ECC         rereads/    errors   algorithm     processed    uncorrected
    fast | delayed  rewrites  corrected  invocations  [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:   0       49        0        49     233662     73743.588           0
write:  0        3        0         3      83996      9118.895           0
verify: 0        0        0         0      28712         0.000           0

Thank you !

Ben