bad disk discovery

Scott Long scott4long at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 21:47:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

If your situation is accurate and the disk is not responding properly to regular
commands then it’s unlikely that it will respond to SMART commands either.
Sometimes these situations are caused by a bad cable, bad controller, or
buggy software/firmware, and only rarely will the standard statistics in SMART
pick up these kinds of errors.  SMART is better at tracking wear rates and
error rates on the physical media, both HDD and SSD, but even then it’s hard
for it to be accurately predictive or even accurately diagnostic.  For your case,
I recommend that you describe your hardware and software configuration in
more detail, and look for physical abnormalities in the cabling and connections.
Once that is ruled and and the rest of us know what kind of hardware you’re
dealing with, we might be able to make better commendations.

Scott