mpr vs mps performance

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Tue Oct 7 16:27:05 UTC 2014

On Oct 7, 2014, at 6:11 PM, Alan Somers wrote:

>> Borja, can you upgrade your card to the latest FW.  Your version is really
>> old (1.00.03.00).  We should be up to 7.00.00.00 now.  There could be a lot
>> of fixes that would affect performance.
>
> To update the firmware, you must download LSI's
> Installer_P6_for_FreeBSD from the link below.  Then the tricky part:
> you must hexedit the executable and replace all "mps3_" strings with
> "mpr", suitably padded with NULLs.  It sucks, I know; complain to
> LSI/Avago.  Then you must download the
> 9300_8e_Package_P6_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows (or whichever is
> appropriate for your hardware) to get the actual firmware files.  Then
> you can use the hacked FreeBSD installer binary to download the
> firmware from the Windows firmware package.
>
> http://www.lsi.com/support/pages/download-results.aspx?component=Storage+Component&productfamily=Host+Bus+Adapters&productcode=P00766&assettype=0&productname=LSI+SAS+9300-8e

Thanks, I'll try. Probably the SAS2 cards will go into production but I'm happy to help with some tests.

The performance problem was not sustained, but writing performance stalled for several seconds now and then. It did not happen with the SAS2 HBA (which is a Dell branded as H200 flashed to IT firmware).

Borja.