LSI SAS HBAs (mps) utility

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 11 16:35:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Borja Marcos <borjam at sarenet.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't think it has been covered in this list. Searching for the Holy Grail of disk identification I stumbled upon this:
> https://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Host%20Bus%20Adapters/Host%20Bus%20Adapters%20Common%20Files/SAS_SATA_6G_P12/SAS2IRCU_User_Guide.pdf
>
> There is a FreeBSD command for the following LSI Logic controllers:
>

> LSISAS2004
> LSISAS2008
> LSISAS2108
> LSISAS2208
> LSISAS2304
> LSISAS2308
>

> The  program is called sas2ircu, and it can be downloaded doing a search for HBAs, LSI SAS9211-8i, all asset  types,
> and it can be found under "Miscellaneous", it's called SAS2IRCU_P18.
>
> There are commands to show a list of controllers, show the configurations, etc.
>
> Interestingly, the utility seems to be oriented to "IR" cards, *but* it can poke my "IT" card without issues. At least it can show me
> a list of drives, together with the slots where the drives are plugged. *BUT* it doesn't seem to find the real slots. sigh.

What do you mean, it doesn't find the "real" slots?  What are you
expecting to see?  Do you have a SAS expander in this system?  If so,
you have some hope of seeing useful information about the physical
position of a drive.  If not, then you won't get much better than
knowing which SAS port is connected to a drive.