Review needed

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Tue Jun 3 18:22:55 UTC 2014

Warner Losh wrote this message on Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 10:46 -0600:
> The code that combines adjacent ranges for BIO_DELETEs to optimize
> trims to the device assumes the list is sorted. Don't apply the
> optimization of not sorting the queue when we have SSDs to the
> delete_queue, since it causes more discard traffic to the drive. While

I'm puzzled by this statement, if I remove the double negative, I get:
Do apply the optimization of sorting the queue when we have SSDs to the
delete_queue, since it (what the new optimizations?) causes more discard
traffic to the drive.

Do you mean previously?

> one could argue that the higher levels should coalesce the trims,
> that's not done today, so some optimization at this level is needed.
>
> Diffs and a (hopefully) cool review tool: https://phabric.freebsd.org/D142

Please include a raw diff...  A Phabric is only for FreeBSD committers,
it takes the rest of the community out of the ability to review.

Thanks.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579