QLogic 24xx FC HBAs not working fine with CAM Target Layer

Kenneth D. Merry ken at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Jul 23 16:51:49 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 19:39:07 +0530, bharat singh wrote:
> Some more info
>
> 8G HBA also showing same issues. Once firmware issue is resolved I am able
> to run I/O without any issue.
> Is it necessary to enable firmware download on every reboot.

Yes.  The isp(4) driver at least is somewhat tied to a given firmware
revision.  If you update the firmware, you have to take into account the
changes that occured in the intervening firmware releases.

> If I am suppressing the firmware download by setting the
> "fwload_disable=YES" it's causing the issue inconsistently.

That isn't surprising.  I would suggest either running with the firmware
bundled with the driver, or update the driver to account for the changes in
the firmware.  (In that case, you'll want to bundle the new firmware with
the driver, so you don't have to flash every card on every machine you have
with the new firmware.)

Ken