Kernel crash at "softdep_deallocate_dependencies"

Desai, Kashyap Kashyap.Desai at lsi.com
Fri Apr 6 10:01:48 UTC 2012

Hi, Thanks in advance for looking this query and hoping for some help from File system experts.

We have a RAID 0 volume which has partition (created using sysinstall fdisk option).
While IOs are in progress removing one of the volume member kernel panic is hit with the following messages

g_vfs_done():(da0:da0s1d[WRITE(offset=6358872064, length=2048)]mpslsi0:0:error = 6
0:/home: got error 6 while accessing filesystem
0): panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: unrecovered I/O error
lost device

Note:
1. The issue is also seen on a RAID 0 volume which does not have a partition on it.
2. Issue was observed on both SAS and SATA drives.
3. When we send IOs to the driver without FS (using "dd" command), kernel panic never seen.

I have searched on this topic and looks like something wrong with FS. _but_ I don't have any trigger to support that this is not Driver issue.

When we tried below options: (disable Journal on FS) Things does not change. We still see kernel panic.

umount <filesystem>
tunefs -j disable <filesystem>
mount <filesystem>
cd <filesystem>