Methods for collecting/managing SCSI/CAM/ATA error events

Stephane LAPIE stephane.lapie at darkbsd.org
Sat Mar 5 16:19:11 UTC 2011

Hello list,

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a proper method for handling
SCSI events, such as a device reset, device not ready, illegal request,
etc...

(da0:isp0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY(10). CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da0:isp0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:isp0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:isp0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0 (Power on, reset,
or bus device reset occurred)

Same for ATA events :

acd0: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=41<READY,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED> LBA=0

These are printed out as kernel messages, and visible on the console and
in /var/log/messages, but keeping a running process tail-ing the log
file seems sub-optimal (especially in the event the storage device
holding the log dies), when compared to ZFS events which are handled via
devd in the following fashion :

notify 10 {
	match "system"		"ZFS";
	match "type"		"data";
	action "logger -p kern.warn 'ZFS: zpool I/O failure, zpool=$pool
error=$zio_err'";
};

Is there any similar subsystem for SCSI/CAM/etc... ?

Thanks in advance.
--
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."