Controller is no longer running

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Sep 22 05:43:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 08:23:06PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 02:36:03PM -0500, Scott Lambert wrote:
>
> > [Adaptec 2120 controller problems snipped]
> >
> > aac0: Kernel 4.2-0, Build 8205, S/N 503926
>
> Unfortunately I think you're out of luck unless you can get Adaptec to
> release a new firmware for this card; this version has a lot of bugs.
> The "controller is no longer running" message means the firmware on the
> card has crashed.
>
> We had a ton of problems with 8205 firmware (on a 2130 controller, but
> I presume it's built from the same source tree).  Firmware 15611 has
> been stable for us with the 2130.

That's what I was afraid of.  I suppose we'll build a new box and
transfer the load to it.  Then I'll rip the adaptec card out and
jump up and down on it for a while.  After that, we'll take the
motherboard's SCSI controller for a spin with ZFS, or gmirror, and
use the server as a hot spare.

Thanks for the reply.

lambert at lambertfam.org