LSI 6Gb SAS driver committed

Michael Fuckner michael at fuckner.net
Tue Sep 21 17:44:54 UTC 2010

> Folks,
> This driver advertises support for PCI IDs 0x74, 0x76, and 0x77, LSI
> SAS2108-based products judging by the description.  Are these RAID-on-chip
> devices?  How do they work with this driver?  Has anyone tried it?
>
> Does anybody know how those devices differ from the SAS2108-based MegaSAS
> Gen2 ID 0x79 supported by mfi?
>
> I would really like to discard the hardware RAID functions of the MegaSAS
> and treat it like an HBA, but after adding the 0x79 ID to mps it wasn't
> able to initialize the card.

Hi all,

I hope to clarify a few things

LSI 2008: SAS2 (6GBit) HBA, can do Integrated Raid, but currently not
supported, Driver: mps (Linux: mpt2sas)
LSI 2108: SAS2 (6GBit) Raidcontroller with Cache, optional battery...
Driver mfi? (Linux: megaraid_sas)
LSI2208: Dual Core Raid Chip?!? I haven't seen this one until today.

The driver claims to support 2[0-2]08.

I hope I have time this week to plug some cards into a FreeBSD-Machine to
let you know what exactly works.

Regards,
 Michael!