kern/146287: [ciss] ciss(4) cannot see more than one SmartArray controller

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Wed May 5 16:29:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:29:44PM +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
> > Ah, I see a problem where the ACPI driver is rejecting the bridge
> > that the 2 extra controllers are on.  This machine is likely 7-8
> > years old, yes?  Disabling ACPI from the freebsd boot menu or from
> > the BIOS.  Also check if there are any BIOS/firmware upgrades
> > available for the machine.
> >
> > Scott
>
> A G4 should be around five years I think, the last U320 equipped ProLiant's.

DL380 g4 was retired January 31 2007.

> Moving the 6400 card to the slot closest to the MB fixed it. There is a
> great deal of confusion in HP's docs on slot numbering and such and
> although I did not find such information I suspect the controller should
> go inte this slot even if it's pictured in slot two in the manual.

There were 3 different cages for the expanasion cards available. Non-hotswap
PCI-X, Hotswap PCI-X and PCI-Express. I don't remember on the G4, but on the G3
the cage was bottom slot 133Mhz and not hotswap, while the top two were
slower, but hotswap. That could mean different PCI bridge chip.

> Thanks Scott.
>
> per

Regards, Ulf.