Optimum dev_openings value

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Thu Mar 18 17:06:01 UTC 2010

Openings changes reflect when and how a device sends back a QUEUE FULL
message, which causes FreeBSD to adjust the openings.

That is disk, access pattern, and timing dependent.

There are a number of theories about whether the 'openings' value should
be bumped back up after having been throttled down. Nobody can agree on
these theories, so the openings stay where they are. You might try
manually adjusting them up on a periodic basis.