mpt request timed out

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Sun Jun 6 02:49:15 UTC 2010

SATA cables were the first thing I suspected. Changed them few times
with no impact on the issue. Forcing SATA to 1.5G helped a bit, but
the errors still showed up, though not as frequently.

I've read a theory on OpenSolaris mailing list where folks were
discussing strikingly similar issue with LSI controllers throwing up
bus reset errors when used with ZFS.

The gist was that IR firmware is rather buggy and sometimes hangs
under heavy load. It does have some sort of watchdog, so the chip
eventually  restarts. It reports an error to the driver and it may
abort (or forget to finish) current transaction so it sometimes looks
like an error to hard disk as well.

--Artem