Dell/LSI RAID controllers

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Sep 26 02:58:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Scott Long wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm considering a Dell, specifically the Poweredge 2970, and I'm not
>> finding much info on their site about the various raid controller options -
>> there don't seem to be any actual specs.
>>
>> Anyone here familiar with the various models (PERC 5i, PERC 6I, SAS 6/iR)
>> and what FBSD driver each one uses?  All are within my price range.  I
>> assume all can handle SATA as well as SAS, correct?  Is performance in the
>> ballpark of a $500 3Ware or Areca card?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Dell hardware works well and is well supported.

That's good to know.  Before I hit the Dell site, I was looking at
barebones Supermicro servers (and some others) and Dell beat the "build it
yourself" price by a wide margin.  Currently there's a $460 discount on
the 2970.

> SAS5/6 means that it's a SAS+SATA controller that does basic RAID0 and
> RAID1.  PERC5/6 means that it's a full-fledged caching RAID controller.
> There is even a management tool for both the SAS5/6 and PERC5/6
> controllers.

Does Dell bother documenting this stuff anywhere?  I find their website
barely usable (both in terms of response time - awful and organization -
also awful).

Does the SAS6 do mirror+stripe?  Is the management tool something that
requires the whole boatload of Linux compat stuff or is it something
simple like "mptutil"?

Lastly, I see the PERC6 is about $300 beyond the "integrated" SAS6ir.
What more does the PERC version offer?  Google is showing me some people
calling the non-PERC "quasi-raid" which worries me...

Thanks,

Charles