Dell/LSI RAID controllers

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Sep 26 02:41:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Damian McGuckin wrote:

>> All are within my price range.  I assume all can handle SATA as well as
>> SAS, correct?  Is performance in the ballpark of a $500 3Ware or Areca
>> card?
>
> I would personally stick with the Areca. The newer ones of these now handle
> both SAS and SATA.

I am considering that, but I'm concerned about whether this would entail
trying to hack something together to get the drives connected to the card
- I have no idea how proprietary things are in there.  It's been awhile,
but last time I put together a box with a ton of SATA drives, it seemed
every manufacturer had their own connector scheme for "multilane" SATA.  I
suspect I couldn't just drop a 3rd party card in there and plug it into
the backplane.

Still digging for a clear picture of the inside of the thing.

Thanks,

Charles