Question about iSCSI

Francisco Cabrita francisco.cabrita at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:44:03 UTC 2009

Hi Ivan,

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Francisco Cabrita wrote:
>
> > Avoiding iSCSI it's a nice possibility but, on this new scenario the
> volumes
> > are exported to both w2k PDC and w2k BDC. My client relies upon a very
> > granular permission scheme. I don't know if I can handle this without a
> NTFS
> > volume. (If I'm not wrong, we can't format a NTFS partition under
> FreeBSD)
>
> No, and it wouldn't be of any use to you since Samba would still see it
> as a POSIX file system.
>

> OTOH, Samba has some rudimentary support for ACLs (it's a built-time
> option) and UFS2 has ACL support by default, though it needs to be
> enabled in fstab (see mount(8)), so depending on how convoluted are your
> requirements, it might or might not work.
>
> See for example: http://aisalen.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/acls-on-samba/

Oh great! This sounds very very good and simple too!

Resume
1) we have "options UFS_ACL" in our generic; so I can use UFS2 to host user
data;
2) Build Samba 3 with "ACL_SUPPORT=yes";
3) Add acls flag to fstab.

Et voi lá. Tests, lots of tests.

You guys really opened my mind! I don't know yet if I'm gonna use this way
on this particular project, but is very nice to know this stuff.

Once again, Many thanks :)

Best Regards,
Francisco Cabrita

--