updated isp(4) driver available

Kenneth D. Merry ken at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 29 20:41:19 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

Over the past 6 months or so, Matt Jacob has done a good bit of work on
the isp(4) driver for Copan Systems (www.copansystems.com), my employer.

Copan has kindly agreed to release it all, and links to the patches are
below.

There are a lot of changes, and this isn't a comprehensive list, but this
is the bulk of it:

 - 8Gb FC support (initiator and target)
 - working 4Gb target support
 - improved 4Gb initiator support
 - improved task management support in target mode
 - port database change notfication in target mode
 - virtual port (NP-IV) support/fixes
 - ability to change FC roles on the fly (initiator, target,
   initiator/target and none)
 - ability to set a custom WWNN/WWPN
 - the addition of a test internal target driver inside the isp(4) driver
 - updated firmware for the 23xx and 24xx cards
 - 4 new CAM CCBs:  XPT_GET_SIM_KNOB, XPT_SET_SIM_KNOB,
   XPT_IMMEDIATE_NOTIFY and XPT_NOTIFY_ACKNOWLEDGE.  The first two allow
   setting various SIM properties, the second two allow for the full tag
   ID and more other information to get passed down to the target mode
   app from the driver.
 - new CAM async notification, AC_CONTRACT

There are also a few minor CAM changes from Copan folks:

 - tuneable probe I/O timeout
 - fixed various rescan deadlock/panic issues

These changes have been tested in the following environments:

 - initiator mode for 8Gb, 4Gb and 23xx 2Gb cards
 - target mode for 8Gb and 4Gb cards, with Copan's target application

They have not been tested with cards older than the 23xx series, and I
haven't even looked at the scsi_target(8) code to see how it would be
affected by this.  (It would probably need to be updated to handle the new
async notification CCBs.)  I also haven't tried out target mode on the 23xx
boards.

So, with that said, the paches for current are here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/isp_diffs.current.20090629.out.gz

And the patches for RELENG_7 are here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ken/isp_diffs.releng7.20090629.out.gz

Those patches are against -current and RELENG_7 as of June 25th.

I would certainly appreciate any testing that you folks would care to do on
these patches.  My hope is to get them into -current at some point, most
likely after the 8.0 freeze lifts.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry