ISCSI slow to read from DELL MD3000i

Sossi Andrej asossi at dotcom.ts.it
Wed Jan 14 05:31:12 PST 2009

Danny Braniss wrote:

>>> RTFM :-)
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> danny
>>>

>> In last 2-3 months I searched the (F) manual, but I didn't find any!
>> Where is the manual?...
>>

> man -k iscsi
> iscontrol(8)             - login/negotiator/control for an iSCSI initiator
> session
> iscsi.conf(5)            - key options to be negotiated in an iSCSI session
> iscsi_initiator(4)       - kernel driver for the iSCSI protocol
> iscsi-target(8)          - service remote iSCSI requests
> targets(5)               - configuration file for iSCSI targets
>

>> In this week I did many tests on ISCSI and found another problem with
>> slow writing. I created 7 virtual disk on my NAS server. The first 4
>> disks (/dev/da0 - /dev/da3) work fine, the other 3 (/dev/da4 - /dev/da6)
>> are slow.
>> I found this depends from parameter ISCSI_MAX_LUNS defined in file
>> iscsi.h, set 4. I tried to increase this value, but with all values
>> higher of 4 the initiator prints error:
>> iscontrol[602]: ISCSIGETCAM failed: 25
>>

> did you recompile the driver?

Yes, I recompiled all kernel source. I do many test whit and without
module. Is it necessary to post my kernel configuration?

>> Is it possible to manage more than 4 disk without degrading the performance?
>>

> are you sure that da4,5,6 actually are disks? they might be just files ...
> ls -ls /dev/da?

# ls -ls /dev/da*
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  87 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da0
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  92 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da0s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  95 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da0s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  96 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da0s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  93 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  99 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da1s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 106 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da1s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 107 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da1s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  94 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da2
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 100 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da2s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 108 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da2s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 109 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da2s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  97 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da3
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 104 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da3s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 112 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da3s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 113 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da3s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  98 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da4
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 105 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da4s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 114 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da4s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 115 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da4s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 101 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da5
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 110 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da5s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 116 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da5s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 117 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da5s1d
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 102 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da6
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 111 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da6s1
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 118 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da6s1c
0 crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 119 Jan 14 12:12 /dev/da6s1d

Initially I work with 4 disks for real data and then create another 3
for tests data. Disks da4,5,6 is identical configured on the NAS as first 4.

--
Sossi Andrej

Via Biancospino, 9
34151 - Opicina (TS)
Italy

tel: +39 040 2158191
fax: +39 040 0641954
E-mail: asossi at dotcom.ts.it

Ai sensi del D.lgs n. 196 del 30.06.03 (Codice Privacy) si precisa che le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate e ad uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il messaggio in parola Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La preghiamo di eliminarlo senza copiarlo e di non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie

This message, for the D.lgs n. 196 / 30.06.03 (Privacy Code), may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.