iSCSI initiator and Dell PowerVault MD3000i

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Dec 18 22:38:20 UTC 2009

Daniel Braniss wrote:

[...]

Hi Daniel

> the numbers seem ok to me, concidering that the net is 1Gb.
> can you configure the target virtual disk to have luns?

Each virtual disk is automatically on its LUN (started from 0)

> in any case the errors seem to be in the md3000i, can you see/check its
> error log?

No warnings or errors in log, just notices without anything meaningfull
to me - I can send you whole log if you are interested

>> Do you have experiences with iSCSI multipath? I read about geom_fox and
>> gmultipath...
> i have no experience with it, and personaly see no benefit in it (but then
> others might disagree :-)

I tried 'ifconfig bce1 down' to simulate broken preferred path (hoping
that second path become preferred and virtual disks will be available by
the second path... but it failed) and then "all hangs".
I tried to access /dev/da0 in the meantime by diskinfo and diskinfo
became unresponsive and unkillable by kill -9. Then I sent SIGHUP to
iscontrol but again - process is hang and unkillable.

I put bce1 up again, but no change. The machine was livelocked -
responding to ping, allows new SSH login, but any commands hang. I
couldn't 'su - root', or run 'top' etc. I waited about 20 hours, but no
change. "Graceful shutdown" from remote console (Dell DRAC6) also failed.

Everything is fine after powercycle so I did it again to check if it was
coincidence... same result - unkillable processes.

So instead of iSCSI connected storage with multipath failover, I got
singlepath storage causing system freeze in case of network disconnection :(

Please let me know if you are interested in this and if you want some
more details or access to this machine.

Miroslav Lachman