"Inappropriate ioctl for device" when using scsi_sg

Tim tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org
Thu Aug 6 00:01:30 UTC 2009

Xin,

Thanks much for your response.

> My understanding is that, by default (GENERIC), sg device is not
> compiled into the kernel, so, in order to use it, you may have to
> compile your own kernel and add:
>
> 	device sg
>
> In the configuration.  The device would appear as "/dev/sg0", etc.;
> Linux style "/dev/sga /dev/sgb" would appear as symlinks.

I figured it might be something like that.  Oddly, Linux allows me to
send these special SCSI commands directly to the original disk devices
(such as /dev/sd{a,b,c,..}) without the need for using any sg-specific
device files.  Using /dev/sg{0,...} is not a problem though.  I'll
have to find a system to do a full install on and get that compiled
in.

Thanks again,
tim