Hang on boot in isp with QLA2342 after upgrading to 6.3

Graham Allan allan at physics.umn.edu
Mon May 12 21:09:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:29:37AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> Graham Allan wrote:
> >
> >I didn't get our 6.2 network install set up all the way, but during the
> >installation boot (which identifies itself as 6.2-RELEASE-p0) it
> >identifies all available devices on the SAN without hanging, so I think
> >that version works fine.
> >
> >Next I will revert to 6.3, and cvsup it to RELENG_6...
> >
> >Graham
> >
> Interesting.  I'm intrigued.
>
> Let me know.

I get the same behaviour on RELENG_6 (kernel reports itself as
6.3-STABLE #4).

Do you think I should try with -CURRENT? Would that even work with a 6.3
userland, or would I need to build world as well?

I can also re-enable debug output in the isp driver and report what is
going on there. Unfortunately last time I tried this the two results
were not that useful: (1) capturing it from the screen (or Dell RAC
output) you only get the last 20-odd lines; or (2) redirecting to a
serial console slightly changes the behaviour (it still never boots but
remains forever in some kind of retry loop), perhaps because the kernel
execution is throttled to the 9600 baud output speed. Could try
115kbaud, but that is still pretty slow, relative to no serial.

Graham