USB drive serial numbers

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Wed May 7 22:32:25 UTC 2008

Can someone send me the output of "camcontrol inquiry daX" where daX is
a usb attached hard drive?  I'm interested to know if the USB external
hard drives report a serial number as the USB flash drives I currently
have in my possession do not report one.

eg:  SCSI hard drive:
sudo camcontrol inquiry da0
pass0: <SEAGATE ST373207LC D701> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
pass0: Serial Number 3KT17YJL
pass0: 320.000MB/s transfers (160.000MHz, offset 63, 16bit), Tagged
Queueing Enabled

eg: USB flash drive:
sudo camcontrol inquiry da3
pass4: <TOSHIBA TransMemory 5.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
pass4: Serial Number
pass4: 40.000MB/s transfers

Sean