LTO-3 / scsi woes

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Jan 16 08:28:39 PST 2008

See my responses inline.....

On Jan 15, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Robin Blanchard wrote:

> By "bypass" I mean I plugged the LTO drive directly to the controller
> rather than in-line through the library. I am only using sym0 (the LVD
> channel).
>
> These are the devices in question:
> <QUALSTAR RLS-8204-20 006D>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
> (ch0,pass0)
> <IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 73P5>             at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
> (sa0,pass1)

I'm trying to reconstruct the conversation here.  Are you saying that
you've tried LSI, Adaptec, and Symbios controllers, and they've all
failed with your drive?

> Thanks for your help....

SE does not mean "high voltage scsi", HVD does.  A bus can operate at
either LVD, HVD, or SE.  LVD and SE are compatible in the sense that
LVD and SE peripherals can interoperate with an LVD or SE controller,
with the only caveat being that the presence of any SE devices will
bring everything down to SE speeds (20MHz bus).  HVD can not
interoperate with these, and any attempt to do so will likely cause
nothing short of a _fire_.

Also, I don't understand your comment about the controller reporting
that it's operating in Fast-80 mode.

>> Also, when you say "bypassed" can you clarify?
>>
>>    Bob
>>
>> Robin Blanchard wrote:
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the length reply and suggestions. I've swapped
> terminators
>>> (I've got a U160 and a U320, both with indicator lights -- both
>> indicate
>>> 'green'), as well as cables, cards, and even the drive itself (we
>> have
>>> two of the same library, each with a single drive in each). The
>>> "closest" I've come thus far is to bypass the library/exchanger, and
>>> connect only the LTO-3 drive; but having to set the speed to 20
> MB/s.
>>> Using an adaptec card, I get absolutely nowhere at all, hence the
>>> current use of the LSI card (which, yes, is LVD/SE). I just
> installed
>>> FBSD (as opposed to RHEL5) to see if I could glean anything else
>> useful.
>>> The attached dmesg is FBSD 6.2-STABLE with the LSI (sym) card, and
>> the
>>> library/drive both set in the BIOS to defaults/auto.
>>>

>>> With an adaptec 2940U2W, I get nothing but garbage:

This means that the device responded to a selection for an INQUIRY
command (the first command that is issued to each possible on a bus),
but then something went wrong to make the driver think that the
command didn't progress to completion.  It could be something funky
with the bus, termination, controller, or driver, but the suggestion
in the error message that interrupts are working could well be a hint
here.  First of all, are there any other devices on the bus that do
work?  What kind of system is this, and what version of FreeBSD are
you using?  Since it sounds like you've tried multiple SCSI cards,
have you been putting all of them into the same PCI slot, or have you
tried different PCI slots?  Have you tried any of the published tricks
for working around interrupt problems (disabling ACPI, disabling APIC,
etc)?

Scott