SAS Drive Numbering inside the MPT driver

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Wed Apr 9 00:23:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Josef Grosch wrote:

> I really can't answer your question. We tried the LSI controller and had
> a couple of problems. I think this was one of them. We have settled on
> the Adaptec 3805 which is an 8 port controller. We are very happy with
> this controller. It's fast, stable and well supported in FreeBSD.

With this, if you want to use it JBOD, don't you have to create fake RAID
volumes on each drive. Initially this is

	Drive0	Volume0
	Drive1	Volume1

etc.  Does FreeBSD use the Volume numbers at all when assigning drive IDs

	/dev/da0
	/dev/da1
	/dev/daN

or does it work purely from the slot position?

Many Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Broadway NSW 2007
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here !
Views and opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer