SCSI disk serial number.

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu May 10 15:07:24 UTC 2007

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Can someone confirm this is the right thing to do to get SCSI disk
> serial number?
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/scsi_da_ident.patch
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Can someone help me with other drivers?

The serial number that CAM obtains comes from a page 0x80 inquiry.  It
is known to be rather unreliable in its uniqueness.  The SCSI spec
allows the target to return a non-zero length of all 0x20 characters if
it so desires.  Most applications that need a unique drive identifier
try to obtain the WWN from page 0x83 instead, and fall back to
hueristics with page 0x80 if that fails.

Scott