Migrating from adaptec 39320 to lsi u320-2

Nico -telmich- Schottelius nico-freebsd-scsi at schottelius.org
Wed Jun 13 07:28:20 UTC 2007

Hello guys!

I replaced the 39320 in our dell sc1425 with a lsi logic u320-2.

Now I've the problem that the u320-2 seems to export the disks to the
OS only if one creates logical disks. If I create a logical disk it
seems to use some bytes at the end of the harddisk to store its metadata
on the harddisk.

The problem with that is, that the gmirror information is lost.

My question now:

- Does anyone have experiences with the u320 and knows whether it's
  possible to use the harddisk without adding metadata to the drive?
- Or is it possible to tell gmirror to add the metadata twice / to
  another location? Afaics the lsi uses 2856*512 Bytes at the end of
  the disk for metadata. So if one could put the gmirror metadata
  at end-((2856*512)+gmirror_length), it should also work

And yes, I know that the u320-2 has hardware drive capabilities, but
I wanted to stay with software raid, if possible, so it is no problem
to exchange the controller later (no vendor/controller dependency makes
life much easier).

Sincerly

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C