Hangs with Adaptec 29320

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Jun 7 20:17:13 UTC 2007

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Turning on every debugging option under the sun to slow the system to a
>> crawl is probably not a very good strategy.
>
> It's not a good direct strategy to solve a problem. It might be a good
> strategy to get insight about it, though.

When it comes to SCSI problems, DEBUG_LOCKS, DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS, and
DIAGNOSTIC won't provide much help unless you suspect the problem to
be a secondary effect of other problems in the system.  These options
will slow down the system considerable though, which can often mask
legitimate problems and make them harder to find.  The CAMDEBUG option
can be useful for SCSI.  Often times just enabling bootverbose can
provide useful information as well.

>> As I said in a previous
>> mail, if you are having problems with the ahd driver, please contact the
>> ahd driver maintainer directly.
>
> As a developer myself, I find it very irritating to get a mail that says
> "It doesn't work" and nothing else.
> Turning on debug might help in getting a dump, a relevant error message
> or something alike; otherwise I wouldn't really know what one could write.
>

> BTW: I also complained in the past about the amrd driver on a SRCU42E:
> turned out from the serial number it was a faulty stock and I'm wating
> for Intel to replace it. I hope this solves it.

So it's working for you with FreeBSD 6.2?  Good to hear.  If not, I'll
take another look at it.

Scott