howto connect local raid to FC?

Arno J. Klaassen arno at heho.snv.jussieu.fr
Thu Jun 7 19:59:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

sorry if this is an obvious question :

I have several servers with hard- or software diskarrays (3ware,
gmirror, even some good old ccd).
For years I use nfs/netatalk/samba to share them with other boxes
(nowadays refered to as NAS if I understand correctly).

Now I would like to connect the local storage to a fibre
channel network (SAN).
I'm new to all this 'SAN'-stuff and before I buy an after
all quite expensive FC-HBA, I would like to know if
it is possible to 'export' e.g. /dev/da1, /dev/ccd0 etc.
to the Fiber Channel interface?

I found the next citation in a recent email on MPSAFE CAM, which made
me think this might not yet be possible, but is thought of for the
near future (a la atapicam ?) :

  Future work

  The CAM API will likely undergo some more small changes to support
  future work with newbus integration and SAS/SATA/FC transport
  modularization.  These changes will hopefully be done before FreeBSD 7.0
  is released.

Any idea, help, pointer, [cold shower,] is appreciated.

Regards,

Arno