Some thoughts 'bout scsi controllers

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Jun 7 10:25:49 UTC 2007

Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> Just trying to put some information together:
>
> - aac: seems to be problematic with 29320, 39320, 2120, 2130S; adaptec seems to
>   be not so good supporting freebsd. The gmirror/raid1
>   issues seem to be still there.

The aac driver controls the 2120 and 2130, the ahd driver controls the
29320 and 39320.  I must have missed your bug reports for the aac
issues.

> - mpt: seems to be the recommened choice of some people in the
>   community, the 53c1030 seems to be a popular u320 chip (not sure in
>   which devices it it used)

It works reasonably well, yes.

> - amr: the 'old' megaraid (=lsi) scsi (parallel)/sata driver: Seems to
>   be also one of the recommended chips, though there where/are issues
>   about unmaintained lsi drivers

Excuse me?  I'm the maintainer of this driver, and I've never heard
from you.

> - mfi: new sas lsi megaraid devices, also Dell PERC5/i; not much
>   feedback recieved for this one

These work well.

> We are looking on several servers and variants to replace the broken sc1425 with the
> 39320 in it. I think one option would be a dell pe2950 (with perc5i/mfi)
> or to get a mpt or amr supported u320 card.

The MPT and AMR cards are not equivalent.

> Though, still not sure whether the dell pe2950 will not be the cause for
> new errors.

The Dell 2950 platform works very well with FreeBSD.

Scott