Hangs with Adaptec 29320

Nico -telmich- Schottelius nico-freebsd-scsi at schottelius.org
Thu Jun 7 08:13:08 UTC 2007

Hello Andrea,

Andrea Venturoli [Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:31:18AM +0200]:
> Scott Long wrote:
> >Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> >>Hello!
> >>
> >>This same things described in the mails from Andrea Venturoli happens
> >>on Tue Dec 26 08:36:16 PST 2006 happens here with the Dell SC1425.
> >>
> >>Also gmirror, also 39320, but freebsd 6.2.
> >>
> >>Did somebody find a solution?
>
> Not really, but I stopped experiencing this king of panics. At least, I
> stopped experiencing them so often.
> This seemed to happen after I upgraded to the latest 6.2 patchset,
> enabled DDB, DEBUG_LOCKS, DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS, DIAGNOSTIC, and so on.
> Lots of LOR and other strangeitudes will show up, but they seem to be
> mostly harmless.

Ok, will try that, too. Though this will be only possible on our
secondary machine.

I've had a look into src/sys/dev/aac/* and it looks like there are
no changes since freebsd-6.2-release.

> I've still everything configured to try and get some useful dump in case
> it happens again.

Here it happens quite often, if I run the testdisks.sh shellscript
that does heavy i/o.

> BTW, on another machine today I had a crash and started getting panics
> on each reboot until I jumped in in single user mode and issued an "fsck
> -y" on a corrupted filesystem; you may want to check.

Ah, we had that on another server, too. This seems to be normal freebsd
behaviour when it wants to be repaired :-)

I think I'll give it again a try but will search in parallel for a scsi
card replacement (see other mail).

What also makes me wonder is that many times the system has to rebuilt
the raid1 after a crash. looks like they are written asynchronously.

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C