Quirk for this?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Feb 26 21:40:58 UTC 2007

Matthew Jacob wrote:
> Oh, agreed. But rather than wander off into the umass code, thus
> spreading quirks around hither and yon, would it make sense to just do
> this in da which allows you to check transport type (now at least, for
> CAM_NEWTRAN).
>
> And this means, btw, that I don't believe it's necessary to fix all
> instantiations of READ CAPACITY (so that camcontrol(8) works).

If you do the processing in the umass driver then camcontrol still
works.  What I'm talking about, and I believe that Warner is agreeing
with, is sniffing the completion of all CDB's to see which ones are
READ_CAPACITY responses, and then fudging the data before calling
xpt_done().

> BTW- now that I think about it, I think that the 'taste' stuff that
> GEOM does with disk devices (reading the last sector) actually
> wouldn't work with tradtional MagnetoOptical devices anyway- you
> cannot read unrecorded media in this case- so GEOM might have to be
> dealt with at some point anyway.

It would require similar handling as the CD driver, where the capacity
can essentially change during a burning session.

Scott