Quirk for this?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Feb 23 17:10:28 UTC 2007

> M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > I have a umass device that lies about the size of the device:
> >
> > umass0: <SanDisk Corporation ImageMate CompactFlash USB, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.09, addr 2> on uhub1
> > da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > da0: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> > da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> > da0: 61MB (125441 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 61C)
> >
> > However, when I plug it in with other umass devices, this is what I
> > see:
> >
> > umass0: <SanDisk ImageMate 14 in 1 Reader/Writer, class 0/0, rev 2.00/93.39, addr 2> on uhub2
> > da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > da0: <Generic STORAGE DEVICE 9339> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> > da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> > da0: 61MB (125440 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 61C)
> >
> > The 125440 number is what is reported by ata as well.
> >
> > Is there some way I can quirk this to not get a huge cascade of errors
> > when the last sector is read by the tasting code?  I didn't see any
> > way when I was reading the code, but the quirks are scatter in a few
> > different files and I might have missed something.
> >
> > Warner
>
> I don't understand, it changes its inquiry and size data depending on
> how many other devices are plugged into the bus with it?  That's highly
> bizarre.  No, there is no size coercion quirk.  We could add one, but we
> need to decide on what an appropriate coercion is, and how to trigger
> it.  Size coerecion is highly, highly hard to get right.

OK.  Maybe I was unclear in my first post.

One of the SanDisk devices that I have, the first one listed, reports
the size wrong.  It is one too big.  This is the USB/CF adapter
whatsit.  No matter which CF card I plug into it, it is reported one
too large.  This is a bug in the USB/CF adapter.  This is shown first
in the list above.

The other USB/CF adapter, as well as my PC Card/CF adapter, reports
the correct size for the card (which is shown second).

The question is: Given that I know that the first USB/CF adapter
always reports one too big, is there a way this can be fixed?

Warner