kern/103602: drive gets wedged on READ CD CAPACITY if no disc is in

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:19:17 UTC 2007

I used the following patch (attached) against a RELENG_6_2 src tree,
and it's working brilliantly. No problems to speak of. I can boot with
atapicam in the kernel without a disk in the drive and there were no
hangs at all.

The sg_readcap command still gives (immediately):

READ CAPACITY (10) failed, device not ready

I was able to burn a DVD-R with growisofs and blank and burn a CD-RW
with cdrecord. So all seems well, though I'll continue to keep an eye
on it.

I'm not sure which patches need to be committed, etc. But I wanted to
include the cumulative patch against the 6.2-R src in case it helps
you decide which code to commit to -CURRENT/etc.

Christian - can you give the attached patch a shot if you've got a
6.2-R kernel/install handy on your P5B-E?

Thanks for all your help Thomas!
Josh