Temperature sensor on SCSI disks (IBM / Hitachi)

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Mar 31 03:34:20 UTC 2006

Panagiotis Christias wrote:
> On 3/30/06, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>
>>Kenneth D. Merry <ken at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > With some more recent IBM drives (possibly including DDYS drives, can't
>> > remember), you can get the temperature like this:
>> >
>> > camcontrol cmd da0 -v -u $i -c "4D 0 6F 0 0 0 0 0 20 0" -i 32 "s10 i1"`
>>
>>Cool, that one works.
>>
>># camcontrol cmd da0 -v -c "4D 0 6F 0 0 0 0 0 20 0" -i 32 "s10 i1"
>>33
>># camcontrol cmd da1 -v -c "4D 0 6F 0 0 0 0 0 20 0" -i 32 "s10 i1"
>>36
>>
>>Thanks very much!
>>
>>Do such commands exist for other drives or vendors, too?
>>
>>Best regards
>>   Oliver
>

> Very interesting! I am wondering if it would be possible to get that
> kind of information if the disks are part of a hardware RAID. Our
> systems have IBM/Hitachi disks connected on RAID controllers
> (accessible using the amr driver). Any ideas?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Panagiotis

The amr driver has a SCSI passthrough mechanism for talking to the
underlying disks (assuming that the disks are SCSI and not SATA), but
it's been broken for several months.  Since such a mechanism has such
limited use, I haven't bothered to fix it.  I definitely don't have time
to fix it now, but I can give pointers to anyone who does want to look
at it.

Scott