iSCSI target

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Wed Jun 7 01:58:01 UTC 2006

Danny Braniss wrote:
> hi,
> 	the latest noise about iSCSI has pricked my curiosity.
> Since the iSCSI protocol part is almost ok,
> Q: How complicated can it be to write the cam-target, taking into
>    concideration that there is no hardware involved.
>
> my idea is to have the non time critical stuff in userland (login, negotiation
> etc) and the rest inside the kernel.

The first task is just to support target mode in your iscsi driver.  To
do that, you just have to support the ATIO, CTIO, INOT, etc. CCBs.  See
isp, ahc, or now mpt for examples.  Once you have that done, the
userland src/share/examples/scsi_target should just work.

We already have all the infrastructure done to support various targets.
  All you need to do to add new target types is add a hook into
scsi_target(4) [the kernel driver] to allow kernel processing of target
requests.

--
Nate