SCSI scanner, sym/ncr driver, pt(4)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jan 25 06:22:24 PST 2006

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
 > > Hell, I do not even know if my "810" card is an "early NCR 810" which
 > > sym(4) keeps talking about.
 >
 > Why bother as long as it works :-)

Well, there could have been the possibility that it might
work better (faster, more stable, whatever) with the other
driver.

 > > If you're just a user, the manpages fail to tell whether
 > > the sym(4) or ncr(4) driver is preferred for an 810 host
 > > adapter.
 >
 > Personally, I'd prefer sym(4).

OK.  Thanks für your recommendation.  I'll keep sym, too.

 > > However, gimp and the xscanimage plugin use the full SANE
 > > scanner device string for identifying it and storing their
 > > configuration.
 >
 > AFAIR you can use xscan as GIMP plugin, too.

Ah, you mean xsane?  I've only tried xscanimage so far.
Somehoe it didn't came to my mind that there could be
other possibilities.  :-)

I just looked at the xsane homepage.  The GUI looks quite
good (better than xscanimage), so I think I'll give it a
try tomorrow.  Hopefully it supports manual specification
of color correction values (xscanimage does), because I
need to do that in order for colors to come out correctly
with my scanner.

Thanks for the hint!

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters