benchmarking raid arrays?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Feb 7 18:47:37 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm in the process of shopping around for some new hardware raid
controllers.  In the meantime, I need to gather some numbers on the
current adaptec stuff that we're running.

I'm aware of bonnie/bonnie++ and IOZone.  bonnie doesn't really seem
thorough enough for what we want to test for (random reads/writes), and
IOZone forces you to do some ugly contortions in MS Excel to get any
decent graphs.

We're mainly looking for a controller to pair up with a few Postgres
database hosts.  We are leaning heavily towards the latest and greatest
from 3Ware and Areca.  They are SATA, but are getting lots of praise from
folks on the postgres-performance list.  This is apparently not so much
because of the underlying disk technology (SATA vs. SCSI), but because
both vendors are just putting much more modern processors on their RAID
cards compared to the rather anemic stuff that LSI, Adaptec, et al. use.

So what do folks here use to get detailed data on a raid array?

Thanks,

Charles