Qlogic fibre channel support questions

Noel A. Ashford it.mgr at bhs.bm
Mon Feb 6 13:51:30 PST 2006

You buying some IBM blades? I have qlogic cards in my blades and did
attempt booting from san on HS20's. I had no problem with the Qlogic
driver, but there were numerous other issues with FreeBSD and the HS20,
more particularly, ACPCI (think I said that right?!) power control, and
some other minor issues I don't remember now. I did however manager to
get it all installed and working once, then some tech guy screwed the
partition up and I lost the initiative to try it all again!!! I tried
VMWARE running it and that was extremely easy to do compared to trying
FreeBSD direct on that setup. Freebsd 6 (which wasn't out at the time I
tried except for Beta) seemed to have the ACPCI issues sorted somewhat,
but not perfectly in comparison to 5.x etc. Either way, the short
version here is, yes QLOGIC cards and booting from them work fine, if
it's an HS20, don't expect a straight forward install!

-Noel