myl driver failing during server shutdown

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Sat Aug 12 00:36:16 UTC 2006

So I had thought that my motherboard didn't honor the acpi reset or
power down command.  It turns out that it does just fine -- but the
shutdown is failing/hanging.  Attaching a serial console to it, I see
this:

Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...3 0 2 0 0 done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 6d18h12m6s
(da0:mly0:1:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0xb, scsi
status == 0x0
mly0: flushing cache...kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0x0
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe25c1ac0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0x0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1 (init)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 6d19h12m38s
(da0:mly0:1:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0xb, scsi
status == 0x0
Dumping 991 MB (2 chunks)
Aborting dump due to I/O error.
status == 0xb, scsi status == 0x0

** DUMP FAILED (ERROR 5) **

This is 100% reproducable.  Anyone have any ideas where to start on
this problem?  What does this error mean?

Note: if you want to debug this, I can provide root access.  It's
just a personal box :-)

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek