isp issues on recent -STABLE

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Aug 11 16:01:36 UTC 2006

On 08/11/06 10:43, Geoff Buckingham wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:53:03AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> [..snip..]
>> Aug  9 23:02:10 snapshot1 kernel: isp0: command timed out for 0.2.2
>> Aug  9 23:02:10 snapshot1 kernel: (da8:isp0:0:2:2): Command timed out
>> Aug  9 23:02:10 snapshot1 kernel: (da8:isp0:0:2:2): Retrying Command
>> Aug  9 23:26:58 snapshot1 kernel: (da3:isp0:0:1:0): Queue Full
>> Aug  9 23:26:58 snapshot1 kernel: (da3:isp0:0:1:0): tagged openings now 254
>
> I don't what may have changed in the driver recently, but from your post
> you seem to be using the FC isp and potentially a "SAN" presenting arrays as
> luns to you rather than JBOD on a loop or switch.
>
> If you you have some kind of data mover presenting arrays, your SAN vendor
> may well recomend a maximum queue size per lun (often 20-30)

I have this one host connected to a single QLogic fiber channel switch,
which has 5 ACNC fiber channel arrays attached to it, along with a tape
robot and tape drives.  Three of the arrays present 3 LUNs each (2TB per
LUN), and two of them present 2 LUNs each, 4GB and 10TB - I'm not using
these two arrays much yet, and are not really associated with the problems.

> man camcontrol, look at the tags section.
>
> Your commands may be timing out because you have managed to queue too many
> command (which I hope should not happen). Or.....
>
> Your queues could be filling because your commands are timing out. Which
> would imply something is broke :-(

Strange that I've never hit this in the past, but now I seem to be
hitting it quite often.  The vendor of the arrays says queue depth is
256 per LUN, and that coincides with my messages above I believe.

Eric