isp issues on recent -STABLE

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Aug 10 19:35:38 UTC 2006

Lately (the past week or so), I've been having a lot of trouble with one
  of my servers.  The system has two QLogic (2312) cards in it, only one
connected to the storage (via fiber channel switch).

Basically, under heavy disk load, I get mass warnings to the console,
and then the system hangs, unpingable.  Hitting the power button
(sending ACPI power down) doesn't do anything, except for a warning.

I'm running -STABLE as of about 2 days ago, but prior to that I was
running from about early June time frame.

The lock-up happens nearly daily, when my backups are running (using
rsync), so I'm sure it will happen again tonight.  I've got the debugger
and all enabled in the kernel, but I couldn't seem to break into it last
time it died.

I know there have been recent changes to the isp driver, so I'm
wondering if it's related.  I may try reverting back to older -stable
and see if it goes away.  In the mean time, any suggestions for debugging?

Eric