Problems with SCSI and Tyan S5350...

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Wed Apr 19 02:02:22 UTC 2006

I sure hope I am not alone in this...

I have a Tyan S5350 motherboard, EM64T Nocona, 7320 chipset. I am
having great difficulty getting it to work with SCSI drives. I have
tried both Adaptec 19160 and 2120S SCSI-RAID.

Basically, when I get to "Waiting for scsi devices to settle".... about
30 seconds goes by, then I get a bunch of COMMAND TIMEOUTS (either ahc0
or aac0). Eventually, the card dumps, and I get some stuff about SCB
timeout, SCB reset, then Infinite interrupt loop, INTSTAT = 0ahc0:
Timedout SCBs already completed, interrupts may not be functioning.

I'm sorry I dont have the exact output, but it is tough to jot
everything down by hand. Tomorrow I can put a console on it, and paste
the errors.

I saw some similar output in the archives. Some of the resolution was
disabling ACPI, but it was for a different motherboard.

I have tried to disable ACPI, no effect. I have also tried playing with
int13 enable/disable, no luck. I have tried multiple cards, multiple
cables, and multiple disks. Is this just a bad compatibility issue
between FreeBSD and the Tyan board?

The Bios does complain about "no int13 drive support" after the 2120S
initialize, not sure what that is all about.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
John